How does Trans-PRK work?
This modern laser eye surgery method allows the entire procedure to be performed touch-free and without making any incisions. The excimer laser removes the outermost layer of the cornea (which regenerates after the operation) in the area where the visual defect is to be corrected. Then the excimer laser removes the corneal stroma below it in order to correct the visual defect.
The Trans-PRK method does not involve applying an alcohol solution nor does the surgeon need to make an incision with a scalpel. This also means that there is no ‘flap’ to increase the risk of complications. The term ‘flap’ refers to the skin that is folded back during laser eye surgery following an incision being made in the outermost layer of the cornea.
Here at SmartLaser, we work with the cutting-edge Schwind Amaris 1050RS laser system. SmartSurfACE technology facilitates very smooth corneal ablation, which contributes to a faster healing process, less pain and an immediate improvement in a patient’s eyesight.More about SmartLaser’s technology
Prescription ranges and limitations of the Trans-PRK method
The Trans-PRK method is particularly suitable for treating myopia (near-sightedness). However, when it comes to treating hyperopia (far-sightedness), the procedure quickly reaches its limitations. Standard prescription limits for Trans-PRK procedures
• For myopia: -6 dioptres
• For corneal astigmatism: +5 dioptres
• For hyperopia: < +3 dioptres All PRK laser eye surgery procedures have their limitations. For patients whose prescription exceeds the following values, other procedures may be more suitable. • For myopia: max. -8 dioptres • For corneal astigmatism: max. +6 dioptres • For hyperopia: max. +3 dioptres Trans-PRK laser eye surgery is also particularly suitable for people who enjoy contact sports or water sports, or for people who work in specific professions (e.g. in the police service).
Advantages of the Trans-PRK method
The Trans-PRK method is one of the most advanced laser eye surgery methods and is used to treat many different types of visual defects.
The main advantages at a glance
• Maximal safety thanks to 7D eye-tracking, automatic power output control and precise ablation analysis
• Pain-free, gentle procedure performed without touching the eye or making an incision
• Fast procedure without the typical risks that accompany making a ‘flap’
• Very smooth corneal modelling results in a fast healing process and the best results
During your initial consultation, the doctor will carefully ascertain which laser eye surgery method is suitable for you. In the event that neither Trans-PRK nor Femto-LASIK is viable for you, you also have the opportunity to have a different procedure at EyeLaser, our parent clinic.
Your face will be disinfected, your eyelids will be held open and you will be given anaesthetic eye drops in order to ensure that your Trans-PRK procedure is entirely pain-free.
The Trans-PRK procedure
The Trans-PRK method involves working exclusively with an excimer laser. First, the outermost layer of the cornea will be removed with pinpoint precision in order to expose the area for correction. Then, the laser will correct your cornea within a few minutes. Finally, a protective contact lens will be inserted.
You will have your first follow-up appointment 3-4 days later. During this appointment, your protective contact lens will be removed and the doctor will assess the healing process. Around 3 months later, you will have your final review at the SmartLaser Centre in Vienna.
How long is the healing process following the Trans-PRK procedure?
The epithelium (outermost layer of the cornea) heals by itself within a few hours or days. Smooth corneal modelling promotes a trouble-free healing process which may involve mild pain on the first day or two after the operation.
After the operation, we will insert a protective contact lens in order to assist the healing process and relieve any pain.
Even if you notice a clear improvement in your vision immediately after the procedure, it usually takes 2-3 weeks before you can enjoy the full benefits of your new eyesight.Overview of our prices